The Codes have been revised to provide a clearer flow of information, and there are now fewer documents that establishments need to refer to. The Codes of Practice on Disposal (Code 5) and Import and Export (Code 8) have been incorporated into the sector Codes so that all relevant sector information is contained within the respective Code (underpinned by Code A, which all sectors must follow). The restructure means that establishments will need only to follow Code A plus their relevant sector Code(s) and Standards.
How to respond
The consultation is open from Tuesday 1 September until Monday 2 November 2015. Please read Code A – Principles and Consent and the relevant revised Code(s) of Practice and associated Standards, and then submit your response by 5pm on Monday 2 November.
Presentations which outline key changes are available below
- Codes and Standards project background: explaining the Codes and Standards project, why we have revised the Codes and what the main changes are
- Main changes to Code A: Principles and Consent
- Main changes to Code B: Post mortem
- Main changes to Code C: Anatomy
- Main changes to Code D: Public Display
- Main changes to Code E: Research
- Main changes to Code F: Organ donation
- Main changes to Code G: Bone Marrow and PBSC
Once the consultation closes, we will analyse the responses received and review the draft Codes and Standards, taking the your comments into consideration. Following this, we will produce a report summarising the responses and the changes that have been made to the Codes based on these responses.
The Codes and Standards will then be submitted for Parliamentary approval in 2016. Further information on the progress of this work will be available in 2016.